Now that summer is here, your favorite orthodontist, Dr. Jerek Petrous, wants to make sure his Sterling Heights, MI patients are keeping up with their teeth and braces. While summer is a good time to let your teeth shine, patients often let their oral hygiene deteriorate as they run into hazards while on vacation or playing sports, or simply forget to brush and be cautious of diet; warm weather does not warrant a lack of oral hygiene.
5 Tips for Protecting Your Teeth This Summer from Your Favorite Orthodontist
- Watch your sugar intake. Ice cream, soda, and popsicles are all summer favorites, but remember that too much sugar leads to cavities and even plaque buildup. Moderation is key, and to best avoid damage, brush your teeth each time after eating something sweet. This is especially true for patients with braces; you do not want to let that sugar build up underneath your braces.
- Teeth are for smiles, not handiwork. We here at Petrous Orthodontics have seen so many examples of fractures and breaks from people using their teeth as a tool. Next time you need to open a package or bottle turn to your hands, not your teeth!
- Straws may help limit acid damage. A lot of us do not realize just how much acids are in our favorite beverages. Many sodas and fruit juices are highly acidic and will cause damage to your teeth. Dr. Petrous recommends this tiny tip — which seems silly, but can be largely beneficial in the long run: When drinking something acidic, use a straw! This limits contact with the surfaces of the teeth and prevents some damage.
- Be especially careful when playing sports. At summer camps, or sporting events, many players get very involved in the game and forget to pay close attention to their teeth. Injuries often occur during contact sports, but can also occur during swimming and many other summertime favorites as well. To be safe, wear a mouth guard. We at Petrous Orthodontics can help you select one that is right for you. And if you run into any problems or orthodontic emergencies do not hesitate to see Dr. Petrous.
- Keep up with regular visits to Petrous Orthodontics. While your routine is changing don’t forget to keep your orthodontic appointment schedule the same. We at Petrous Orthodontics will be able to check up on you frequently and address any orthodontic treatment issues that may have come up during the summer.
Dr. Petrous and all of us here at Petrous Orthodontics understand the joys of summer, and we just want to keep those teeth safe this summer and always. For more information, or if you have any questions or concerns about the summer do’s and don’t’s while undergoing orthodontic treatment with braces, contact us!
Dr. Jerek Petrous, Dr. John Marx and the team at Petrous Orthodontics are experts in orthodontia. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign®, Invisalign Teen®, braces and/or clear braces in the 48071 zip code area: Madison Heights, Sterling Heights, Hazel Park, Warren, or Royal Oak, or would like to schedule an complementary consultation with Dr. Petrous or Dr. Marx, contact Petrous Orthodontics at: 248.588.2020