Many parents near Clinton Township often wonder, “How can I tell if my child needs braces?” The tricky part is, as children develop, some of their orthodontic issues such as misalignments or bad spacing may go away. However, other issues may not resolve themselves without treatment. So how can you tell if your child needs orthodontic treatment? Petrous Orthodontics has a few things you should look out for to help determine if your child would need braces around the age of seven.
Dr. Petrous and Dr. Marx say that as your child develops, it is a good idea to monitor the development of his or her mouth. By bringing them into your dentist regularly, you will be able to also spot out problems ahead of time. However, there are a few signs that you will be able to notice on your own that will signal a possible need for braces or other orthodontic treatment near Clinton Township. These include:
- Improper chewing or biting
- Overlapping or crowded teeth
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Shifting or painful jaws
- Obvious malocclusion (bad bite such as over- or under-bite)
- Missing teeth or large gaps/spacing
- Biting cheeks or inside of the mouth
If you see any of these issues occurring in your child’s mouth, it is likely that he or she will need orthodontic care. Orthodontics is important not only to the look of your child’s smile, but also to their overall oral and body health. Straightening teeth can mean more comfort, better functioning teeth and jaws for chewing and speaking, and will allow for better brushing and flossing, keeping the mouth in better shape. So, Dr. Petrous and Dr. Marx says that if you notice any of these signs in your child by age seven, and you live near Clinton Township, you should contact Petrous Orthodontics as soon as possible. Our team will work with you to develop an effective plan that will leave your child with a lifetime of beautiful smiles. Our options for kids include:
- Traditional metal braces are often the best option for kids near Clinton Township, and are usually the first treatment Dr. Petrous and Dr. Marx will discuss. This system uses archwires and brackets to apply to gentle pressure to the teeth, moving them and positioning them better in the mouth. They are effective on a huge range of cases, and can be the fastest form of treatment.
- Ceramic braces are very similar to traditional metal braces, except that the brackets are made of a clear material, and are more discreet. These are a great option for kids in Clinton Township who are self-conscious about braces, or adults who have cosmetic concernes.
- Invisalign® is a series of clear aligners made of comfortable plastic. This option is great for kids who play sports, instruments, or participate in other activities where braces might get in the way, as the Invisalign system is 100% removable.
Once you come into our Madison Heights office and select a treatment plan, your child’s mouth will be on the road to straighter and brighter in no time. So, if you are wondering if your child may be ready for orthodontic treatment, just keep watching out for the signs mentioned above, and make an appointment with Petrous Orthodontics. We are happy to help you figure out when treatment is right, and get your child’s smile looking and feeling the best!